Friday, March 17, 2006

 

St Patrick's Day First

Today is St Patrick's Day, a day of many traditions. Wearing green. Using Clovers. Finding the LUCKY four-leafed clover. being Irish by association...
Eating Corned beef and cabbage. This last one has brought about a first this year. You see, today is also Friday. A Friday during Lent. What that means is that, according to Catholic tradition, It is a day of abstinence - no meat on Fridays. What is one to do? How can you have your corned beef and cabbage if it is a day of abstinence? Well, here in the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese, Archbishop Denardo has declared it OK to not abstain from meat. huh? What? A very long-standing tradition is being over looked? Archbishop Denardo is new to our Archdiocese. We've been told that he is very traditional and that there would be changes going in in the way things are done - going back to a more traditional Catholicism. This blew me away when he made his statement lifting the abstinence on Friday. hmmm. He is part Irish. Maybe that had some influence. I am sure that many Irish-Catholics were thrilled. Then, I wondered what the "catch" would be. Of course there was a catch. If you did not abstain on Friday, you must observe abstinence on another day that week. Well, let's see. That would leave Saturday. I am glad that he was able to make this an option for those that wanted to join in on the St Patrick's Day festivities. But I have to wonder if he consulted the Pope before doing this. Did the Pope agree? Was this a rogue decision? I myself, not being of Irish descent, did not participate. Being Mexican and all, I went to BerryHill's and had grilled fish tacos. DAMN they were good! And for dinner there was a very rich, pasta alfredo.

And I guess that since my Rosary is green, I still partook of the Green Tradition of St Patty's Day!

Comments:
I took a moment on SPD to have a moment of silence for the horny jalapeno. And no, I didn't wear green but felt quite Irish just the same!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?