Monday, March 20, 2006

 

Spring Cleaning

It is official now. Today is the first day of Spring. I had no idea that today was the first day of Spring until mid morning when I heard it on CNN or NBC'S The Today Show. I forget.

Yesterday, in the middle of all that crying, I was finally able to get myself together enough to get on with my day. I would have been horrified if HOT L'IL BRO ( a kid in his very early twenties I see as the kid brother I never had) would have showed up on my doorstep during my episode. He came over to help me clean out and organize the attic. ugggh! He is an avid health nut/jock/athlete/runner/gymnast/cheerleader/fitness fanatic so we had to go run first. Well, ok, he ran ahead and came back to meet me while I walked at a brisk pace. He had fun.

After the walk, we went to Target to get some storage containers and then HOMO DEPOT to get some plywood. When we finally got back to my house It was work, but it was fun too. I am so glad he was around to help. Mary Christmas arrived from her Saturday night shenanigans just in time to help also. It went by quick, a couple of hours. Attic is clean....er, it is cleaner than before and certainly more organized. I threw a bunch of crap away - although nothing sentimental. I am one of those freaks that holds on to everything. Spring Cleaning and I did not even know it was Spring the very next day...Today!

So after the cleaning HOT L'IL BRO and I went to grab a bite at my favorite place - you guessed it - Barnaby's. We had a good talk. I was telling him about that meditation I received about safety. When I asked him where he felt safest I was shocked. I figured he was gonna say with his mom or his boyfriend or something like that. He said me and his sponsor. WOW! That blew me away. I've only known this kid since September, so roughly about 6 months. But I forget how we can impact each others lives in a relatively short period of time. I am not just talking about me and him.... Life in general. There are people that I consider very good friends. But still, due to the nature of the question, I was taken aback and flattered at the same time. I suddenly felt as if my life had meaning cause someone looked up to me. That totally made my day.

Here is a picture of an amarilys plant. Someone gave it to me 3 Christmases ago when I first moved into this house. It never grew. I had it inside in a small pot. And then I put it outside thinking it would be better. I finally threw it out, literally! I chunked it on the ground that Spring in order to use the pot to plant some basil. Then last Spring, while gardening, I noticed it and it had some green leaves. So I picked it up and planted it. Here is what happens when we don't throw away what seems to be broken or dead. Maybe a little love, a little nurturing and some water and sunlight help. Isn't she beautiful?

With all of this being said, I noticed the flower today, the first Day of Spring. A great and wonderful sign. I had to take pictures to share. It really is Spring in Houston. Enjoy Spring!

Comments:
I recently had the pleasure of hearing a similar thing from a young kid who has become a new fixture in our gang of misfits. He was dealing with drug addiction and a group of really bad influences. Now he's tapping into his art, employed, has a car and is being a productive handsome guy. Little nudges and living your life by example will always be the inspiring factor in a person's life.
Mwah,
kb
 
That's really nice, I'm glad he was able to admit that to you in person. I know there are people that I look up to, and yet not really let them know about it. Hmm, I oughta do that. Might make their day like yours was.

Wow, I forgot all about spring cleaning until I read your post. Been doing the same on my days off, cleaning up my house of things, and a housemate which will be gone come tomorrow.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?