Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

Fixing Broken Things

I love people who are handy. You know, people who can fix the toaster, take a refridgerator and hook up the water so it comes out the door, lay down new hardwoods, or re-wire the entire house to bring it up to code! I am not handy in the same way as I am not technically inclined. We all have our strong suits.

The point of this post is to express gratitude and share my joy. When I was in the attic doing some Spring Cleaning, I found an old lamp that was broken. I have not been able to bring myself to throw it away. A good friend of mine gav it to me before he moved to DC. Anyway, it has been floating around for over two years. It was broken by a friend a few days after I moved in the house - roughly over two years ago.

I have tried taking it to different places to get it fixed. They all said that I would need to have it welded together. For some f*cked up reason, the lamp shade frame is one metal piece. ughh! No one had been able to help me.

When I found this in the attic and brought it down, it was originally to be thrown out. Then I realized I know a welder! A friend of mine - who is hot as all get out - is a metal fabricator. (This is very funny to me. By looking at him, you would NEVER guess that he has such a butch profession) I knew he could fix it. I called him up and he said to bring it over.

He called me last night and said it was fixed. I was so happy. The really funny part is that he did not weld it. He said they use very big instruments at work and that he would have melted the shade. He used super glue. Now, why did i not think of that? hmmmm. Who cares. It is fixed! yay!

So, along with my theme this week of broken things than can be mended, here is another story. I am glad I did not throw this away too. I keep finding parallel's into other aspects of my life. What had I been thrown away when I was so broken? What if no one had believed in me? What if no one had seen the potential? I am glad that someone stuck around and fixed me or at least helped get on the road to fixing myself.





Comments:
Really nice.That is life ...
 
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.

Glad to see you illuminating!

P.S. - the lamp looks stunning!!!
 
I'll keep some super glue in the car in case you look like you need fixin' any time soon.
 
You cannot say enough about good lighting!
 
You have such a great gift for finding the moral to every story.

That is the difference between you and me. I almost missed the lesson of this post until you pointed it out. I was just thinking about the hot welder, and then I remembered a time my fingers got stuck together with super glue.
 
I gotta say that is a lovely lamp. I think I have a lamp fettish or something. I just like the aura that lamps give off.
 
Ain't nobody gonna throw away you, m'dear. Having said that, I love your insight.

Goddess Mama
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?