Sunday, December 04, 2005

 

Texas Yoga Asana Championship

Yesterday was a long, long day. I woke up early and drove to The Woodlands to practice at 7:15 am - no. really. And class started at 7:15am. My thirty-some odd mile drive to practice. I was meeting my friends there, Hot Yoga Chick and her husband and off we went to Austin. We went to see the Texas Yoga Asana Championship.

It was great fun. We talked and talked and talked some more (it's a bout 2 1/2 hour drive. maybe longer because we took some long ass back road.) It was good to catch up with both of them

I was on the edge of my seat as contestants performed their routines. & postures in 3 minutes. 5 of those postures are compulsory, they each do them, and 2 optional advanced posed. WHAT FUN! I am such a yoga geek. The winners go off to Los Angeles for the International Competition in Feb.
Here are a few pictures that I was able to capture.

















And here is Esak Garcia, the International Yoga Champion - Men's Division. I've practiced with him before in San Francisco. His coach is The Fearless Leader - my teacher in San Francisco.




There is such strength, stamina, Grace, determination, and concentration. Each of these contestants letting no one steal their peace.





Comments:
hanuman - to answer your question, "no." In the west, yoga has become about the gentle meditation. In India, there are yoga asana competitions all the time. It is competing with oneself to go beyond what we know, vs. doing what we can and never progressing. (you can use that for meditation or any aspect of life as well) Also, this is about awareness, letting others see what yoga has done for you, your physical body and letting that in turn show what yoga has done for your mind and spirit - since people will not be able to see the latter two, one must go to the former. hope that makes a little sense. Namaste!
 
Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great wedding information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... Hope you enjoy. Thank you for your time.yoga classes new jersey

yoga classes new jersey
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?