Sunday, October 16, 2005

 

Visiting New Orleans

The reason I got a tetanus shot on Friday was because on Saturday I went with friend to New Orleans. (That is what the website said to do if you were planning on going into the city) I did not want to take any chances. I went with my friend to get some of his stuff; mostly his clothes. He moved to New Orleans the week before Katrina hit. He had to come back to Houston. His company has temporarily relocated him to Memphis. But, it seems, he will be out of work soon - post storm lay offs.

My friend came in from Memphis, spent the night at my place. We woke up really early and drove to NOLA. It was fun driving out there. We were stuck n traffic before we even got to Beaumont. We actually spent about 2 hours in traffic - stop and go...Mostly stopped. We finally got into a good flow of going and that was good.

I took some pictures from the car - as best as I could. Seeing all those trees just clipped, broken in East Texas - aftermath of RITA - just awful. Those folks were getting themselves back together. We saw some damage from the freeway - I am sure it was worse where we could not see.

As we were approaching the New Orleans area, I felt a very definite change in the air. It was much quieter. Going into Kenner, you could really see the beginnings of wreckage. In Metairie it was more noticeable. Once in Orleans Parish, BOOM! It was everywhere. I was so sad. This city has meant so much to me over the last five years. I could not believe my eyes. We did not even make it to the bad part of the city. I do not think I could have stood it.

It was nice to see the Southern Belle - at his own house. It felt so good to give him a nice, tight hug. (I cant even begin to explain what he has been through.) He apparently he got power in his neighborhood so he has been staying in his own house. No gas though. He has to warm up water on the electric stove to take baths.... Imagine. Not only that but there is a curfew so home by 8 pm. No cable so that means no TV....imagine.No Cable so that means no internet either. He got his new refridgerator. (that reminds me. Driving down the street you could see a fridge in front of every house - duct taped shut. Everything spoiled so bad that you have to throw away the whole appliance) yikes! He took us on a tour of the neighbors house, the neighbor behind him and on the next block. He is very fortunate to still have his house livable.

During this I got a voicemail from a friend back home. Someone I had not spoken with in a very long time. Not good news. I will post on that later. I will say that I was very shocked and that I became so sad it took everything I had to do what was in front of me - helping my friend move his stuff. I was just so emotionally exhausted.

The southern Belle was still showing southern hospitality and made coffee. (I love his coffee. He makes really good coffee) We chatted briefly and then all of us headed to my friend's apartment in the CBD. for those of you that dont know that would be downtown or as the New Orleanians call it CBD, (Central Business District) lol

After my friend went and tried to get into his apartment - with no avail. The security guard would not let him in. He did as he was told and called some number that went to voicemail. He then argued with the security guard. There were some pretty heated words. You could tell he was frustrated. I just happen to think that I am not supposed to argue with someone who has a gun on his hip. Especially because when he calls the other guns (cops) they will believe him over me and then I end up in jail. My friend finally asked the guard, "If I go upstairs what are you going to do?"
the reply was "you are not going upstairs."
My friend looked at me and said, "C'mon let;s go."
To which I replied, "I love you but I am not going to jail for you."

After my friend and I had some words. I got another call on the .Same topic and I welcomed that distraction but it made me even more sad.

Then the guard came and got us and said we could go in so long as no one saw. And there were lots of construction workers around. Finally we got to g in.

THANK THE GODS! The elevator worked. You see. My friend lives on the 14th floor. We were ready and willing to climb 14 flights of stairs to get his clothes. We had several - about 8 laundry bags. BIG Laundry bags to tuff clothes in and bring down. WHEW! We took the elevator and got this all done fairly quickly. About and hour and a half. We took the elevator down and threw everything in the back of his Volvo. woo-hooo.

When we got in the car- my sadness over the phone call came back - overwhelmingly. I started to tear up. Almost cry but I have a hard time doing that - crying.

My friend became super needy. Asking for directions. REALLY stupid ones like "which way do we turn?" HELLO! It is a one way street! And it did not get any better the rest of the way.. You know. I got really mad. We got back to the Southern Belle's house. I wanted to change. I had a little breakdown in the bathroom. it felt good to get some tears out. I got dressed. Composed myself. Got back in the car. Finally I got really quiet and withdrawn. I needed time for me. I had done my job with him - helping him get his clothes. I don't think he understood that. It was a silent drive all the way back home. And even when we got to Houston he asked. "how do I get to your house?" I did not even bother answering. He knows where I live.

he dropped me off and I jumped in the shower. I was hungry, sad, I tried to cry but couldn't. I had to teach yoga the next morning. I had to be ina good place with the students. I said a little prayer and went to bed.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?