Wednesday, September 21, 2005

 

RITA




Do you see where that #3 is? That is where I live. I dont scare easily. But Rita is working me something awfull. Ok. Mother Nature. I get it. Your are a VERY poweful Lady that should be respected. Please be gentle with us.

Rita is now a category 5 hurricane. That's a big deal! That is the same as Katrina that wiped out New Orleans just a few weeks ago. And Rita is heading toward Texas.

Oh Gosh. Where do I start? It has been such a crazy day. I went on appointments trying to have business as usual. I started to get a clue when a client of mine told me they were evacuating their residents. She is the administrator for a nursing home in Wharton, TX. Imagine that. They are on the Gulf Coast. I was also in West Houston. I tried going to Walmart - all out of stuff and several Walgreens and CVS Pharmacies - all out also. YESTERDAY I went to 3 THREE Krogers stores for water. THEY WERE OUT!!! The shelves were empty. There was some Perrier, but you know, I'm a good ole Texas boy. I like Ozarka. :)

So, as the day progressed I got to see lots of people out and about. Gas stations had extremely long lines. I had half a tank but figured I should fill up just in case. TOOK ME 30 MINUTES. ughhh! I went with a friend to get gas for him and it took 45 minutes. Double UGHHH! The good news about that is that at that gas station I found water, Dasani 1liter bottles. It was the last case. The bad news, i had to pay regular price so for the 12 bottle case, I paid $14.28. YIKES I went with Goddess Mother and Bubbles to get gas one place had way too long lines. The second place ws not bad. After waiting in line for bout 20 minutes, we were 3rd car away from teh pump and they ran out of gas. The third place we went was about another 20 minutes wait and we were able to get her car fueled up! By the way I have a duty to mention that there were Chevron stations. I have a near and dear friend that works for Chevron-Texaco. There, dutifully mentioned!

I dont scare easily. But I am a bit scared now. The news keeps changing. I have options open. I can go to The Woodlands just 30miles north of Houston (due to evacuations about 3 hours time) and stay with the Hot Yoga Chick and her husband. I can stay with friends in Dallas. I called my friend in Ft Worth and he said I was absolutely welcome - Coco too! YAY! I thought about heading back to San Francisco for another 5 days. I mean, I can wait there just as well as I can wait in Ft Worth. (Probably not, but a good idea.) I am one of the lucky ones.
Mary Christmas is already in Dallas on assignment. He will stay there and fly to Florida for his next assignment instead of coming home for the weekend. Goddess Mother and Bubbles are going to stay with her son in San Antonio. (that's about three hours away, due to the evacuations it is now about 8 hours time) My brother and his family have a plan. My sister and her family have a plan. My mom and two other brothers are in Mexico, lucky them.

The news keeps changing. Galveston has been evacuated. The projected storm surge will cover the ENTIRE ISLAND. This is like The Storm of 1900. The Storm surge will come inland and cover Texas City, Clear Lake, Dickinson, Pasadena, La Porte, even Baytown. These places are so close. And So close to heart. I Live right in Montrose. Just west of Downtown. I think it will be ok. BUT you never know. With the new projected and SUSTAINED winds, there may well be lots of damage. Who am I kidding. There will definitely be lots of damage. My not necessarily to my house or on my street, but there will be damage. I am gonna keep my eye on the news and make a decision in the morning. I dont know if I will be leaving or not. I told my friend Maxeen, that I was doing what he was doing. If he leaves, so will I.

In the meantime, please keep all of us in your prayers. It is not about the material stuff. Although I am thankful for insurance. And that my policies are up-to-date. I hope everyone is safe. May Saint Jodocus watch over each and every one of us. (I learned about this Saint thru Daigle in one of his posts. gotta love a sea-faring guy that know who is looking out for him - Thanks Daigle!)

Comments:
If you haven't left by the time you read this, enjoy the storm at home.
 
Ohmigosh! I am so glad to be in Dallas. But let me tell you that people here are crazy, too. I had to wait in line to buy gas last night... once I found a station that actually had gas to sell!
And that clever Daigle... I'm going to add St. Jo to my "list". Goodness knows you can't have enough saints...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?