Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

Teaching the World

I few weeks ago I was watching TV and saw a commercial for Coca Cola Zero - A new Coke beverage. It was a remake of an old Coca-Cola Commercial. The 1971 version was called Hilltop. I remember growing up everyone knew this tune. It was a truly remarkable marketing campaign. One that appealed to a world-wide audience. Hilltop was a remake of this song:

I'd like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms and keep it company
I'd like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills "Ah, peace throughout the land"
(That's the song I hear)
I'd like to teach the world to sing (that the world sings today)
In perfect harmony
(Lead singer and background singers singing simultaneously)
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
Id like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves

The new version is called Chilltop. It has a bit of a hip-hop and rap to the lyrics. It features kids hanging out on a roof top in Philly. It is not as crowded or as diverse as the original.... I think this one is targeting more in the US not world-wide. I think it is a good commercial. I've read that Coca-Cola and the Ad Agency that developed this have gotten some flack regarding this - watch this report. If you go to watch this, click on the video and then be patient with 15 second announcement.

It is not fair to compare the original to the remake. It's been 34 years for God's sake.... The whole world has changed so much since then. I happen to like both versions.. I find myself humming the original or bee-bopping along to the remake - a lot.

Here are the lyrics to the original for the Coca-Cola commercial:
I'd like to buy the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow white turtle doves
(CHORUS)
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
That's the real thing
(REPEAT CHORUS)
(CHORUS 2)
What the world wants today
Coca-Cola (background)
Is the real thing
(REPEAT CHORUS 2)
(CHORUS)
I'd like to teach the world to sing
Sing with me (background)
In perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
That's the real thing
(REPEAT CHORUS)
(CHORUS 2)
What the world wants today
Coca-Cola (background)
Is the real thing

I could not find the lyrics to the new one.... a couple lines are "I'd like to teach the world to Chill" And "I'd like to buy the world a Coke and chill with it a while"

Any way I look at it, whether we are teaching the world to Sing or teaching the world to Chill..... I think either would bring harmony to the world we live in. It would make the inhabitants slow down, you know relax. And well, all of the world a better place.

Comments:
The original was so much better. This new one is so aimed at the US as to be silly. We are a global community the last time I checked; I think that most people know that. I have noticed a lot of new diversity commericals lately and I like the trend.
I usually ignore commericals, thanks for returning my attention to it. :)
k
 
Of course the original was better, but I like the message the current one is trying to convey. I think the reason why it's aimed at mainly the USA is because I cannot think of another point in my life where this damn country has been more divided. Left vs. right. Liberal vs. conservative. Gay vs. straight.

It's ridiculous.

We ALL need to chill and find some common ground...if we don't, it'll be the downfall of this nation.

And that's about enough out of me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?