Monday, July 25, 2005

 

Keep Coming Back

I was supposed to leave for NOLA by noon yesterday. And of course, I did not end up leaving until 5:30 which put me in NOLA at 11:30 pm. - long drive. I got a call from a guy I used to sponsor. He has been on a relapse for a while now. He had been able to control his drinking for a bit. Tried to stay away from drugs. Eventually, started with the drugs again. Crysral Meth can ravage one's life so quickly. As often happens, he was borught to his knees again - he has hit rock-bottom, again. He called and asked if I would go to a meeting with him. He wants to get sober. This really did not fit into my plans. I was on a tight schedule and was already late. I was moved by a deeper responsibility to help. "Whenever anyone, anywhere reaches out I want the hand of AA to be there. And for that I am responsible." That was all I could hear in my head. I agreed to go with him. We went to a 4pm meeting. I am smiling as I type because I was not at that meeting for me, I was there to support him. The meeting seemed to be tailor-made for me. The lady speaking talked about New Orlreans a lot. And Lambda Center in New Orleans. By the time the meeting was over, I was I was refreshed, and became willing to come to NOLA and get my work done. My problems today are high-class problems like which time flight I am gonna take back home so I have more time to pack for my trip to NY or which pair of jeans I am packing or what car I am gonna rent. It seems so silly compared to someone that "just wants to stop drinking and drugging" That is the hardest thing in the world. A mountain MUCH TOO big to climb. I know that so well. All I did was put one foot in front of the other, and I kept coming back. I hope this guy keeps coming back too.

Comments:
Thanks for being there for XXXX. It was good to see you and I'm so grateful XXXX was able to pick up a new chip; symbolic of his new journey.
This allowed YOU to go forth on your journey with a clear head and compassionate heart.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?