Monday, July 04, 2005

 

Home of the Brave

We moved to the Unites States of America when I was two years old. In some way I am certain we (my family) were looking for a better way of life. I have lived in the US for 31 years. I cannot imagine a different way of life. In the US everyone who works hard can realize their dreams. Everyone has rights. Everyone has the same possibilities. That's what I am after, the American Dream.

What makes the American Dream? The Declaration of Independence reads: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." Please read this again and listen to the amazing and such perfect wording. Truths, self-evident, created equal, endowed, their Creator, unalienable rights, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. And that is what we all really want, HAPPINESS.

The Star Spangled Banner claims the US to be "The land of the free and home of the brave" It took many BRAVE MEN to realize the freedom they dreamed of. Can you imagine the age.... Where a group of people said "NO MORE" and demanded their rights, and enforced and protected their independence? Reminds me of the posting on Pride just last week. It has to Start somewhere. Women didn't even get their rights till the 1920's! It has to start somewhere.

On this 4th of July 2005, I have taken a moment to ask myself: What is your American Dream? How would I honor those that fought bravely, tirelessly, died, to make a way of life for those that came after? I honor them, I have taken a moment of silence for them. I think that sometimes we forget....Or at least I forget, how it was that this all came about....The forming of the United States of America. Today I remember them honor them, thank them for their gift. I was even moved to read the following:

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

When I was in Elementary school and even in Middle school, we used to say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday. That's how we started the day. I would stand by my desk, place my hand over my heart, and face in the direction of the flag. I had an inkling of what this meant....What was being taught in school, in history class. As I have grown older, I have learned even more, there is new meaning. The pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited in school. (I personally think this is sad) That last phrase always stood out to me. "With Liberty and justice for all."

For ALL, Black, White, Mexican, Asian, Man or Woman, Straight or Gay. THESE TRUTHS ARE SELF-EVIDENT, WE HAVE THESE UNALIENABLE RIGHTS." And just like our predecessors, in the Revolution, or Civil Rights Revolution, Women's Revolution, We have these rights. We may have to fight for them, stand up for them, even suffer a little for them. These rights will come. I wonder, I venture to speculate that their may be a GLBT Revolution. When I think about causes I would fight for, this is one. NOT because I want to get married, but because I believe that if you want to, you should have the right to...... I know that I will see this in my lifetime Because I beleive that everyone was "endowed by their Creator" to be treated equally, justly, and that "Creator" wants us all to find happiness.

What is my American Dream? A Land that is truly the home of the brave and the land of the free. A land where we can be treated as equals. A land where our youth would be proud to call home. A land where EVERYONE, regardless of Faith, Creed, Race, Gender or Sexual Orientation are availed Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. A land with liberty and justice for all.

I don't want to get sappy but I also read the following and, well I want to close with this:

America! America! God shed his grace on thee And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea!

After all, it is the Birthday of this Great Nation - from sea to shining sea.




Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?