Saturday, June 25, 2005

 

We Are The Stonewall Girls

Picture it. New York City, Chelsea to be exact, a known gay bar on Christopher Street- The Stonewall Inn. It is late June 1969 and the bar is being raided again; a common occurrence of the time. A paddy wagon outside ready to take patrons of the bar away to jail. They are being arrested. Why? You ask. Merely for being gay. But the actual laws being enforced are these 1. Wearing two or more articles of clothing of the opposite gender. Lesbians wearing pants and drag queens in dresses. Something we take for granted today. 2. And two males dancing together. Yes. That was against the law. The Gays and Lesbians of color as well as those gays that were more effeminate and the lesbians that were butch were treated even a little more harshly. (Perhaps this is where even today within our community we make fun a little more the nelly boys and the butch dykes. A stigma leftover from all those arrested or hoping to keep from being arrested from that generation that wanted to be left alone by being more a masculine male or of feminine female. You know what I mean. The term “straight acting” that so many gay men use.) once arrested, their names would be printed in the paper and have to suffer consequences like losing their jobs for what you ask again? Being gay.

As people were being ejected from the bar to either go home or be arrested and thrown into the paddy wagon a crowd started to form outside. With each customer being brought out the crowd that grew went from campy to restless. It is uncertain as to whether it was a butch lesbian or a drag queen that rallied the crowd by stopping in the door way and posing defiantly between the officers. (Personally I have always heard the story told from the drag queen point of view) The crowd fought back and they started chanting “Gay Power.”

The police were forced to take refuge in the bar and called for back up. The Tactical Patrol Force. (are you f'ing kidding me? This is the force they used for the riots and protestors for all the Vietnam War happenings. )They beat people that were within their nightstick reach as they swept the street. Only to have the gays and lesbians continue to fight back by coming up the rear. Then there was a group of drag queens that mocked the police by locking elbows and kicking Rockette-style started singing:

We are the Stonewall girls / we wear our hair in curls / we wear no underwear / we show our pubic hair / we wear our dungarees / above our nelly knees!

The police finally retreated. Riots kept happening for five days. This event was the birth of the Gay Pride Movement.

Read More and here and another source.

It was years after this that American Psychiatric Association deleted Homosexuality as a mental disorder or mental illness . They did this in December 1973 and had this to say "It fostered recognition that many of the problems gays and lesbians deal with are the result of societal homophobia." Read more

I am writing about gay history today for many reasons. I’ll explain a few.
(1) I read E-Brechi's (who I adore) entry and agreed with many things he wrote. Specifically “Pride comes from DOING SOMETHING, putting sweat and tears into making a difference.” Those gays and lesbians 36 years ago DID something that would make life for us today what it is.
(2) I was chatting with a young friend that a friend of mine sponsors. He is 20. In talking I asked if he knew how pride parades came about or what it meant. He did not know. So I explained a little bit. And it felt good to pass it on. Our younger generation of Gays and Lesbians will not know unless we tell them.
(3) The coming out process to my family a few weeks ago.
(4) Learning to love our extremely talented and diverse community. It takes all of us TOGETHER to make a difference. Just like that night 36 years ago.

Can you imagine living then? Not being able to hold your partner’s hand in public. MUCH LESS a peck in public! From that one incident, today we are asking for equal rights. No more any less. That is fair.

So today, when I go to gay pride parade, I am not going to cut others down to make myself feel better. I am going to look all of my gay brothers and sisters and see them for the wonderful creations of God. Made perfectly just as HE would have them be. I will enjoy the diversity of our GLBT (GAY, LESBIAN, BISEXUAL, & TRANSGENDERED) community> from the Dykes on Bikes to the Leather Daddy’s from the TWINKS to the BEARS. And don’t forget the Gym Bunnies, who could forget the Gym Bunnies. I will stand proud and HONOR them, that generation of gays and lesbians that now have gray or silver hair for having the courage and strength and spirit to do what had to be done. I will take a moment for all of those that came before me and paved the way so that I can have the freedoms and life I enjoy se much. (while I know there is much work to be done still, gay life today is better than it was 36 years ago) I will be a part of community that stood up for itself, and through literally BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS gave me the opportunity to give back to those that come after me. Just because I have not DONE anything yet does not mean I will not have an opportunity later. And through it all have an attitude of fun like the Stonewall Girls: With Courage, With Strength, With PRIDE:
We are the Stonewall girls / We wear our hair in curls / We wear no underwear / We show our pubic hair / We wear our dungarees / Above our nelly knees!

Comments:
I {heart} Cisco!!!
Strange that you made a post about this. I just found out about Stonewall the other day from two guys @ my friends Pride party. I am 23 and never heard of Stonewall or the riots. Just about the time I said that aloud it seemed as if the record skipped and all 30 people at the party just looked at me with a blank look of disbelief. So I got sat down by two wonderful people and was educated on the subject. I got a spark of the fuzz feeling that I was a part of something and I just found a part of my peoples history. So yeah Pride became more then just drinking and hooking up with boys...though that part was fun also. I did see my community as equals for once and found a new respect for Drag Queens.
Good Post!
-Peace & Good vibes-
:) Daigle
 
I enjoyed you blog about health index.php man penis penis penis products.us size size size. I also have a site about health index.php man penis penis penis products.us size size size which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!
 
Interested in getting a better deal for domain names than you can at go daddy code ? Then I might suggest checking the resources available at Register Better . com . No need to pay the high prices found elsewhere, check out the list of places to register better !
 
This seems to be a hot topic right now. Just check out

interior design colleges
 
Hello, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I am doing research as per a fellow website owner suggested to gather information about delivering good content to my visitors. I looked at alot of websites that are in my area online children's yoga poses . I have done the internet MLM thing and really got disgusted at the whole thing. So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done pretty good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

online children's yoga poses
 
Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for equine sites and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though. Michael
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?