Saturday, June 18, 2005

 

Pokin' Fun

Big City Boy is visiting from DC. He called yesterday morning to let me know that yesterday was officially "Fuck-With-The-Queen Day". His flight had been delayed two hours. He called to let me know not to rush through my work day and to let me know that he would call me when he was on his way "into the city". I responded by saying, "What city?" He said "Houston" I said "OH!, You mean when you are on your way "into town." He laughed. You see, San Francisco, New York, DC and other such metropolises use that term into the city because it is so congested and people live outside the city - that's what I think anyways. The Airport in Houston is about 25 minutes from my house. I would hardly call that a drive INTO THE CITY, it is however coming INTO TOWN. Just one of those country things I guess. He is just as country as me. He's lived in the big city too long. picking up phrases like that. We had a good laugh.

One of his co-workers called to ask if he was coming to Texas. He confirmed that. And she commented on how she couldn't wait to talk to him when he returned. Mainly because she knew he would be picking up some Texas sayings. teee-heee-heee I will make sure he takes back all kinds of good ones.


He arrived yesterday and we went to straight to lunch. We, here in Houston and really anywhere in Texas, have the BEST MEXICAN FOOD EVER! And good Tex-Mex too. He was craving good Mexican food. We went to our favorite, La Mexicana and caught up. I love that boy. He moved two years ago and although we talk regularly, I miss him.

Odd story. He moved from DC to Houston a little over 4 years ago. We met through friends. And we start dating. THEN HE DUMPED ME! About six months after that we started dating again. This time I DUMPED HIM. What we learned: We are much better as friends. I am so glad we figured that out. Imagine if we had been bitter or had hang ups about each other to where we would have missed out on being such great friends. He has always been honest with me and me with him. And it is not the MEAN kind of honesty. I can always take it when he points things out. He is very insightful. There is such a special place in my heart for him.

So we hung out last night too. A group of us went to dinner to Mai's, a Vietnamese restaurant... a really good one. We laughed and has so much fun catching up. That boy says the most off-the-wall stuff. A really hot guys walked by (we were all staring) and he bursts out with "He can pull my pony tail, slap me and call me BITCH. I'd let him, uh-huh." we all just laughed, mostly cause he said what we were thinking :)

We gossiped, made jokes and were a general rambunctious bunch. Talked about all kinds of things. Old times, new times, razzing each other. I got quiet and observed. Made me think about growing up. Everyone in the house was like that but I did not feel a part of. I guess, now being grown up, I have created a little something like that. Then I jumped in and joined all the yakking! Pokin' fun at each other and people in general.

Mai, the owner was working, as always. When we were leaving having her separate the check, She looks at him and says in her Vietnamese accented English "you have not been here in a year" To which he replies. "now see, I've been gone for two years and you did not notice" And she immediately comes back with "NO! You came a year ago, I see you" and he thinks. And one of our friends says, "we came to have dinner when you visited a year ago, MARCH." Mai was right. And I looks at Big City Boy and said, "She really remembers you. She must like you" AND he come back with "SHE BETTER. My money built this joint. I ate here 4 or 5 times a week when she first opened." HE looks at here and then says"Aint that right?" She says, "yes. Have a good night." and helps the next people. hahahahaha

Cant wait to hang out with him some more during his visit. A very welcome distraction.

Comments:
I love that. When I go new places I love having time to sit a chat, shoot the breeze and talk trash. Ain't nothin' better. Laughing with new people makes me feel reconnected to the world like everything will be ok if we just hang a second and get to know one another.
k
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?