Thursday, June 23, 2005

 

Not Giving Up

The past couple of days have been interesting. I am really fed up with work. I have been so busy and I am trying to get through every day, appointment by appointment. I have been working on three different projects, one in New Orleans (well, actually Slidell, La east of NOLA), one in North Houston, and one in Houston. The one in Houston has been a pain. I am used to hearing "NO" in many sense of the word. But one can only take so much rejection. My project in New Orleans should close today. I was also pissed I could not get paid on this until it closed or I finished my 'difficult' project in Houston. I was pissed because I was asked if I could tackle the New Orleans project to help since it was behind deadline and I know the market, you know, get in and get out. So I did. I was doing them a favor and now they are enforcing some silly rule. Well, that just makes me want to say NO to them next time they ask. If I do not see any progress by tomorrow with this difficult project, I am going to trash it, cut my losses and move to my next one. See if they like that. I think my feelings are hurt too. I really work hard and I am good at what I do. Every so often though, there is one bad project. I feel like I am not appreciated by my company. Of course, this is not true. Earlier this year I had a great conversation with the Vice President where he told me I was one of the few agents that was 'no trouble' and got the job done. He told me knew I worked hard and that he was glad to be working with me. Today I just want to say WHATEVER!


With all of this in mind, I am glad I am not solely defined by my work. I had some good news yesterday. After 5 years I have somewhat regular insurance rates. YAH! State Farm cancelled me 5 years ago, with good reason, a DWI and an accident that cost them lots of money. That's when I decided to do something about my drinking. I have always loved State Farm. Having worked in the industry for a while, they really are knowledgeable, have great customer service and are a great company all around. My agent has had me marked to get me back. I also had a few tickets since then and another accident. So we had to wait a liuttle longer. And so I saved over half of what I was paying Allstate. (I love them too but only cause I worked for them for quite sometime) So, I increased my coverage and still saved Roughly $450 every six months. Yes, that's right. I wont even tell you what I was paying. That hurts my bank account!

I also want to say thank you to the elderly lady in the elevator today. I was at Scurlock Towers seeing some doctors. I was totally frustrated. While getting on the elevator there was an elderly woman, a blond woman, and me. The elderly lady was so cute, HUMMING some song while fishing hey keys out of her purse. I think it may have been "oh mystery of life" but I could be wrong. Just completely clueless that we could hear her. The blond and I looked at each other then at the elderly lady and back at each other with big smiles. I think that was the turning point in my day. I was humming-sorta-singing by the time I got to my car. Thanks lady.

I am so glad I am taking these swimming lessons. Stuff to look forward to. I did not like Tuesday so much. I really felt like I sucked BIG TIME! I remember thinking early on the class that I WOULD FINISH> I AM NOT GIVING UP. And it was hard, I had water in my ear. And I could not get the breathing or the strokes or the floating or the fricking flutter kick. I was getting pretty frustrated. About 10 minutes before class ended I was almost wanting to cry. That's when I made a decision. I can do anything for 10 minutes. I can finish class. I do not have to come bak tomorrow, I only need to get through the next ten minutes. The other 2 guys that were in class, (the girl did not show up and a new guy did) were doing great. They just jumped in and were swimming the length of the pool. I kept trying and needing to stop half way down the pool and then would keep going. I was tired. I finished class and came home. I yelled at Mary Christmas to stay away 'cause I was in a bad mood. I apologized later and told my tale of how I did so poorly in class.

I went again yesterday. WOW! I had so much fun. (see what a difference one day makes) I was the only one that showed up so it was like a private lesson. I had a huge realization. SWIMMING IS ABOUT STAYING UNDER WATER. The instructor smiled and said. "you haev just stated the fundamental principle behind submesion swimming" I think he was thinking "NO SHIT!" I am glad he did not make me feel stupid. I was swimming the length of the pool. NOT very good at first, and yes with fins, but who cares. Not to say that is was not difficult. Sometimes I forgot to breathe... huh? Yeah, forgot to breathe. lol The instructor was great. Had me do different drills. At one point he said, "This might be pushing it, but let's try." And I love that. Push me please. And let me practice too. DRILLS do not bore me. I find it very rewarding to be able to get something down. I loved class. I stayed 10 extra minutes and did several drills on my own. I felt good about myself. I still have water in my ear. I have been using Swim-Ear Ear Drying Aid and it has been working, but not last night. I'll keep using it. One ting is for sure today. I am not giving up.


Comments:
Just like in other parts of life, don't compare yourself to the other people in your swimming class. Just do the best YOU can and don't worry about them.

You'll be in the Olympics soon, I'm sure. (go for the towel-boy job, it's the best)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?