Tuesday, May 17, 2005

 

Proud Tio

I have been trying to get to a karate class for a couple of weeks. More specifically, my nephew's karate class. He teaches after school with Kick Start Program. I got to go today and all I have to say is WOW! Am I gonna be sore tomorrow. I can already feel it in my biceps and my thighs. It was a good workout. He calls me "Tio" Spanish for uncle - which I am. I told him he could call me by my first name - nick name that is. He said it was weird, but he did it. He explained that today was a very different class...More advanced. He has a student that is going to a competition on Friday in Dallas. He was helping her get some last minute training in. He assured me that next time it would be a little easier. We did jumping jacks...Have not done those since gym class..... Oh, by the way he teaches at my old middle school. He a went to school there too. So, it felt like the old days. A little running around the gym, a little stretching, and then on to some fighting stances and boxing-like moves. I learned that I punch like a girl! lol I truly enjoyed the look on Master Karate Teacher's face when he saw me..... I can only imagine what his thoughts were. He helped quite a bit. And I have to say that I enjoy his style. The kids and other students really respect him. We teamed up and did some sparring....I was nervous since,like I said, I punch like a girl. So he was my partner. There was a lady there I spoke to before class, probably in her late 40's early 50's. I figured I could spar with her and take her.....I am glad that my Master Karate Teacher was my partner 'cause that lady was a blue belt and a punching machine. My nephew just laughed when I commented on my punching and he replied, "Tio, don't worry. It's your first time. You will learn to throw a punch. Look you are already improving." don't get me wrong, he also told me when the punches sucked! hahahaha I love that honesty.

While we were sparring there were 2 boys next to us sparring as well. Both teenagers, fairly good looking, I am sure they will be lookers when they grow up. One was pretty short, 4 foot something and the other one taller. The short one kept getting points and was the better opponent. I heard him tell his friend, "No dude, I'm better 'cause of my long legs. Really, that's why I can get more points." I stopped and stared then laughed. He pointed to his legs to show his partner. That made me laugh more. Master Karate Teacher laughed also and said, "Yeah. Funny huh? His nick name is DADDY LONG LEGS." That made me laugh even harder. Due to my dear friend who I have dubbed Daddy Long Legs on this blog. Will the real Daddy Long Legs please step forward?

Then everyone took turns sparring with the girl going to the competition. It was tough.....And man, was she good. I just sat down. I did not feel like getting beat up by a teenage girl today. lol We finished class with sprinting, lots of sit ups, push ups, crunches and the like. I was wet with sweat! I cant wait to go back.

It was nice to see my nephew in his environment. And it was nice to talk to him. I forgot he used to work at the Y downtown that I just joined. We are going to hit the Y together for some work outs. I think I would like that. I thought about him and his siblings, I used to change their diapers. His sister and little brother are both in the service. They all did the Kick Start program. It really turned their lives around. The neighborhood where they grew up and, well, the road they were on I know very well. I grew up in that neighborhood too. They were raised by their mother....My brother was no where around. I know about being raised by just one parent - mom. We could have all ended up much differently. When I got in my car to drive away, I was overwhelmed with pride in all of them. I wanted to say, "That's MY nephew!" I am such a proud Tio. I am honored to be his student.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?